Recipients have more than 141 years combined service to Catholic education; winners honored for 'incredible job under adverse circumstances'
DETROIT — For the third year in a row, the Catholic Foundation of Michigan honored 10 exceptional Catholic educators with its Amazing Catholic Educators Award, announcing the winners in a virtual ceremony March 3.
Since 2019, the Catholic Foundation of Michigan has honored 25 educators, with a combined total of 349 years of service to Catholic education. Winners of this year's award each receive $1,000.
"The awards recognize educators and principals within the Archdiocese of Detroit who are creating a school culture that is proudly Catholic, academically excellent, accessible to all and sustainable for the future,” Anthony Schena, a foundation board member and chairman of its grant and impact committee, said via livestream during the virtual St. Katharine Drexel Catholic Education Celebration.
Addressing the educators, Schena said the winners have helped their students grow with a foundation “that is built on faith and compassion that will lead them faithfully into their own futures to go and do amazing things in Jesus's name and learn to be the best version of themselves."
"You all have done such an incredible job under adverse circumstances during this pandemic to ensure our children have gotten an incredibly Catholic education," Schena said. "You have been given a gift to educate. Just know that your hard work, faith and dedication do make a huge impact in these children’s lives.”
2022 Amazing Catholic Educator Award recipients:
Hannah DeRocher – Teacher at Chesterton Academy of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Clinton Township
Gabriela Bala – Principal at St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Royal Oak
Leigh Fitch – School counselor at Our Lady of Good Counsel, Plymouth
Jeremy Clark – Principal at St. Patrick Catholic School, White Lake
Meagan Keane – Teacher at Holy Redeemer Grade School, Detroit
Ann Crowley – Principal at St. Clare of Montefalco, Grosse Pointe Park
Kimberly Kerwin – Teacher at St. Fabian Catholic School, Farmington Hills
Jill Geden – Principal at Our Lady Queen of Martyrs, Beverly Hills
Chelsea Mulrenin – Teacher at St. Germaine Catholic School, Saint Clair Shores
Cindy Pryor - Teacher at St. Thecla School, Clinton Township
- Katie Brandt – St. Catherine of Siena Academy, Wixom
- Don Ciaravino – Brother Rice High School, Bloomfield Hills
- Amy Dulgerian – Regina High School, Warren
- Brian Flint – St. Mary Catholic Central High School, Monroe
- Daniel Geoghegan – Loyola High School, Detroit
- Lisa Hughes – Cabrini High School, Allen Park
- Peter Klozik – Shrine Catholic High School and Academy, Royal Oak
- Beth McMahon – Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Catholic School, Beverly Hills
- Kathy Pawlowski – St. Clare of Montefalco School, Grosse Pointe Park
- Carol Stowe – Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish School, Plymouth
- Leah VanKlompenberg – Our Lady Queen of Martyrs Catholic School, Beverly Hills