Sr. Janet Persyk, OP, formerly known as Sister Mary Paulette, died on Thursday, July 20, 2023, at the Dominican Life Center in Adrian, Michigan. She was 93 years of age and in the 75th year of her religious profession in the Adrian Dominican Congregation.
Sister Janet was born in Detroit, Michigan, to Peter and Alice (Tate) Persyk. She graduated from Dominican High School in Detroit and received a Bachelor of Philosophy degree in History from Siena Heights College (University) in Adrian and a Master of Library Science degree in Library Science from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.
Sister Janet ministered in education for over 21 years in Detroit, Lansing, Ruth, Port Huron, and Owosso, Michigan; Tampa, Florida; and St. Charles, Illinois. This includes serving as a librarian for six years at two Adrian Dominican-sponsored institutions: Dominican High School in Detroit and Mount St. Mary Academy in St. Charles. Sister Janet also ministered for 27 years as a hospital chaplain in Chicago, Detroit, and Adrian, and for nine years as a hospice volunteer in Warren, Michigan.
Sister Janet was preceded in death by her parents. She is survived by loving family and her Adrian Dominican Sisters.
A Funeral Mass was offered in St. Catherine Chapel at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 25, 2023. Prayers of Committal will be held in the Congregation Cemetery. Memorial gifts may be made to Adrian Dominican Sisters, 1257 East Siena Heights Drive, Adrian, MI, 49221.
Funeral arrangements are being handled by Anderson-Marry Funeral Home, Adrian.
Sister ministered in Michigan for 50 years:
- Resurrection, Lansing (1949-52): Elementary Teacher
- St. Jude, Detroit (1952-56): Elementary Teacher
- Saints Peter and Paul, Ruth (1956-58): Elementary Teacher
- St. Joseph, Port Huron (1958-61): Elementary Teacher
- St. Paul High School, Owosso (1961-62): High School Teacher/Librarian
- Dominican High School, Detroit (1962-65): Librarian
- Bishop Gallagher High School, Harper Woods (1969-70): Librarian
- Bishop Gallagher High School, Harper Woods (1970-71): Librarian
- Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit (1971-73): Chaplain
- Harper Hospital, Detroit (1973-74): Chaplain
- Grace Central Hospital, Detroit (1974-76): Chaplain
- MI Cancer Foundation/Grace Hospital, Detroit (1976-77): Pastoral Counselor/Chaplain
- Notre Dame High School, Harper Woods (1977-78): Librarian
- Harper-Grace Hospital, Detroit (1978-87): Chaplain
- Henry Ford Health Systems, Warren (2001-10): Hospice Volunteer
- Dominican Life Center, Adrian (2010-11): Chaplain
Obituaries for clergy and religious who have lived or served in the Archdiocese of Detroit may be emailed to [email protected]. Obituaries are printed as they are submitted, but may be edited for grammar and style. Detroit Catholic reserves the right to refuse or edit any submissions.