Sr. Lucy Ann Quinn, OP, formerly known as Sister Florence Maurice, died on Friday, December 17, 2021, at the Dominican Life Center in Adrian, Michigan. She was 89 years of age and in her 70th year of religious profession in the Adrian Dominican Congregation.
Sister Lucy Ann was born in Detroit, Michigan, to Maurice and Florence (Knill) Quinn. She graduated from St. Joseph Academy in Adrian and received a Bachelor of Philosophy degree in English from Siena Heights College (University) in Adrian and a Master of Teaching Mathematics degree from the University of Detroit (University of Detroit Mercy) in Detroit.
Sister ministered in elementary education for 42½ years in Chicago, Illinois; St. Joseph, Walled Lake, Detroit, Adrian, Jackson, Cheboygan and Auburn, Michigan; and Toledo, Ohio. She was principal for four years at Jackson Catholic Middle School in Jackson and five years at Bishop Baraga School in Cheboygan, and administrator for three years at Auburn Area Catholic School, all in Michigan. Sister also ministered for eight years at the Dominican Motherhouse campus in various administrative services at the Regina Residence, Madden Hall, Motherhouse Mission Chapter Office, Maria Health Care Center and St. Joseph Academy. Sister became a resident of the Dominican Life Center in Adrian in 2019.
Sister Lucy Ann was preceded in death by her parents; two brothers, Maurice and John; and a sister, Margaret Leichtweis. She is survived by loving nieces and nephews and her Adrian Dominican Sisters.
Due to COVID-19 mitigation protocols, the Dominican Life Center is closed to all guests or visitors until further notice. All are welcome to participate in Sister’s wake and funeral via live stream at http://www.adriandominicans.org/LiveStream.aspx
The Vigil Prayer will be held at 7:00 pm Tuesday, December 21, 2021, in St. Catherine Chapel. A Mass of Christian Burial will be offered in St. Catherine Chapel at 10:30 am Wednesday, December 22, 2021. Prayers of Committal will be held in the Congregation Cemetery. Memorial gifts may be made to Adrian Dominican Sisters, 1257 East Siena Heights Drive, Adrian, MI, 49221.
Funeral arrangements are being handled by Anderson-Marry Funeral Home, Adrian.
Sister ministered in Michigan 43 years:
- St. Joseph, Saint Joseph (1953-55): Elementary Teacher
- St. William, Walled Lake (1960-64): Elementary Teacher
- Visitation, Detroit (1964-67): Elementary Teacher
- St. Theresa-Visitation, Detroit (1967-74): Elementary Teacher
- Maria HCC/St. Joseph Academy, Adrian (1974-75): Dining Room Manager/Elementary Teacher
- ADS Regina/Maria, Adrian (1975-76): Administration/Dining Room Manager
- ADS Madden/Regina, Adrian (1976-78): Building Administrator
- Jackson Catholic Middle School, Jackson (1978-85): Jr. High Math Teacher
- Jackson Catholic Middle School, Jackson (1985-89): Principal
- Bishop Baraga Central, Cheboygan (1990-95): Elementary Principal
- Auburn Area Catholic School, Auburn (1995-98): Administrator
- Mother House Chapter Office, Adrian (1998-2002): Administrative Assistant
Obituaries for clergy and religious who have lived or served in the Archdiocese of Detroit may be emailed to [email protected] Obituaries are printed as they are submitted, but may be edited for grammar and style. Detroit Catholic reserves the right to refuse or edit any submissions.