CLAWSON — Archbishop Allen H. Vigneron joined about a dozen priests and deacons in celebrating the 100th anniversary of Guardian Angels Parish in Clawson during a special liturgy Jan. 29. Clergy and parishioners who served or attended the historic parish were invited to return for the Mass.
Guardian Angels Parish began in 1920 as a mission of what later would become Holy Name Parish in Birmingham. Mass was first celebrated in the now-demolished Clawson Theatre on 14 Mile Road, until the first church building was constructed in 1922.
In 1923, Guardian Angels Parish was officially erected, and in 1929, construction on a new church was begun after a fire destroyed the original structure. The parish added a school in 1948, which continues to serve students in kindergarten through eighth grade. A third church building was constructed in 1957, and the fourth and current church was built in 1982. The worship space was renovated in 2013.
In addition to its own grade school, clergy from Guardian Angels also serve at nearby Bishop Foley High School in Madison Heights, which opened in 1966.
Photos by Matthew D. Rich | Special to Detroit Catholic