Sr. Geraldine Maloney, OP, formerly known as Sister William Patrice, died on Saturday, October 7, 2023, at the Dominican Life Center in Adrian, Michigan. She was 91 years of age and in the 72nd year of her religious profession in the Adrian Dominican Congregation.
Sister Geraldine was born in Chicago, Illinois, to William and Mary (Jannotto) Maloney. She graduated from Aquinas High School in Chicago and received a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics and a Master of Teaching degree in education, both from Siena Heights College (University), and a Master of Theological Study degree in theology from St. John Seminary in Plymouth, Michigan.
Sister Geraldine ministered in education for 33 years in Detroit, East Lansing, Warren, and Southgate, Michigan; and in Fort Pierce, Florida. Sister served three years as treasurer at Dominican High School in Detroit, a sponsored institution of the Congregation. She also ministered seven years as a pastoral coordinator in Gaines, Michigan, seven years as a pastoral associate in Deford and Essexville, Michigan, and over 15 years as the adult faith formation leader in Saginaw, Michigan. Sister became a resident of the Dominican Life Center in 2019.
Sister Geraldine was preceded in death by her parents and her brother, William. She is survived by her sisters: Mary Ellen Quinn of South Holland, Illinois, and Patricia Browne (James) of Lemont, Illinois.
A Funeral Mass was offered in St. Catherine Chapel at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, October 17, 2023. Prayers of Committal will be held in the Congregation Cemetery. Memorial gifts may be made to Adrian Dominican Sisters, 1257 East Siena Heights Drive, Adrian, MI, 49221.
Funeral arrangements are being handled by Anderson-Marry Funeral Home, Adrian.
Sister ministered in Michigan 45 years:
- Visitation, Detroit (1951-54): Elementary Teacher
- St. Thomas Aquinas, East Lansing (1954-57): Elementary Teacher
- St. Jude, Detroit (1957-59): Elementary Teacher
- Dominican High School & Academy, Detroit (1979-82): Treasurer
- St. Anne, Warren (1982-85): High School Teacher
- Aquinas High School, Southgate (1986-88): High School Teacher
- St. Joseph Parish, Gaines (1988-95): Pastoral Coordinator
- St. Johns Evangelist Church, Essexville (1996-98): Pastoral Associate
- St. Michael/St. Joseph, Deford (1998-2003): Pastoral Associate
- Private, Saginaw (2003-19): Adult Faith Formation Leader
Obituaries for clergy and religious who have lived or served in the Archdiocese of Detroit may be emailed to [email protected]. Obituaries are printed as they are submitted, but may be edited for grammar and style. Detroit Catholic reserves the right to refuse or edit any submissions.